Today, we went to one of our favorite spots to eat: Mr. Goodcents. It was just me and the kids, so no Matt to help referee (or at least commiserate with me). We always split a footlong and 1 bag of chips to save money. Jane has become quite smart and knows that a trip to Mr. Goodcents=chips. So she wants no part of eating her sandwich and will let us--and the entire restaurant at lunch rush--know this. When I told her she needed to eat her sandwich first before having chips and put the chips out of sight, she began screaming at the top of her lungs, drooling and...ARCHING HER BACK! Jack never did this--at least not that I remember. I waited for her head to start spinning and her eyes to turn red. Luckily they didn't, but meanwhile I was expected to take care of this situation by all the annoyed customers who were trying to enjoy their lunch (and obviously did not have kids of their own because they showed no sympathy). I ended up holding her until she calmed down, gave her one chip (I know, I shouldn't have given in) and then hid the chips and told her they were all gone until she decided she was hungry enough to eat her sandwich. She fell for it.
So I gave into her tantrum (although I DID wait until she stopped before giving her the chip) AND lied to her. SUCH a great example, aren't I? It's funny how before you're a parent you have a list of things you vow NEVER to do to your child. Fast forward a couple years and it's all you can do to avoid those things...I was such a good mom BEFORE I had kids. Oh well, I wanted to enjoy my lunch, let those around me enjoy theirs and get this moment over and done with so I could head to the grocery store for another potential episode.






2 comments:
So funny because S is the same way..she has even mastered the art of sitting down and lowering herself to the ground while screaming so she doesn't bash her head..I thought she would be the easy quiet baby..HA
Oh, sweet baby Jane? Say it ain't so! Still, I think you did a great job and handled the situation splendidly. One of the most useful tools a parent can have is the ability to assess a situation and decide what it calls for--and you DID that! Sometimes our old ideas have to go out the window in favor of getting through the day (or lunch). And in the end, that sweet little girl ate her sandwich, didn't she? Kudos! :)
Post a Comment