Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Organize Me!

Everyday, I tell myself I will get something organized--whether it's the pile of papers on the kitchen counter or an entire system for doing a household task. And then, everyday, I somehow avoid doing anything of the sort, and often make it worse by adding to that pile of junk mail that needs to be shredded or put off until tomorrow what could have been done MONTHS ago! And then I wonder why I feel inefficient and unproductive...

I read every organizing article in REAL SIMPLE magazine, and inevitably get discouraged because I feel like I have to go to The Container Store and spend hundreds of dollars on matching bins and baskets. It should NOT cost a lot of money to be organized, right? Or maybe it does. I don't know.

This seems generalized, and I suppose it is--I have so many "things" that I need to organize; something's gotta improve so I can become more efficient.

Here's an example: digital pictures!!! I am so behind on my albums, yet I continue to take TONS of pictures of my kids. I simply don't know what to do with the thousands of digital pictures on my computer and on disks or how to compile them in a way that preserves the best images without leaving me with a box of random prints strewn about.

Does anyone else feel this way?? Tell me what you feel like you need to organize, and tell me also one thing that you HAVE organized and it's made you more efficient or feel more at ease. I love ideas from REAL people.

And if you've spent tons of money on matching bins, please don't respond.

post signature

4 comments:

Kate & Matt Heihn said...

Ok, totally with you when it comes to pictures. It's so overwhelming! I am so afraid of even taking them off my computer in fear that I will lose them. So, my computer runs so slow sometimes!!! I don't know what to do with them!!! The only continually organized piece of my life right now is Savannah's closet. The only reason I feel like I can keep up on her clothes is because I LOVE her clothes so much and it's actually fun to put them away. Maybe that's the trick to organization - making it fun?? Good luck with that stack of bills then :)

Terah said...

I feel the exact same way! Let me know if you find any brilliant solutions!

vlaizure said...

i have no expensive organizing tools...but I'm not very organized either! i do organize my mail as soon as it comes in file folders in the closet

Anonymous said...

Kristin, I SOOO feel your pain! I feel so overwhelmed sometimes, but you know what? If it's something that I really, really, REALLY want to tackle, I just...start. I commit to starting the process and that helps so much because taking that first step is the most difficult. I read a recent-ish issue of Real Simple (love that magazine!) and one of the readers had a stellar organization process for all of her pics. She simply used CDs and labeled them by season and year (I think). It was a thing of beauty! It took her awhile to implement the system, but she eventually conquered it AND committed to putting all the new photos on discs as soon as she put them on her computer. It takes a few extra minutes to pare them down, but it's totally worth it in the long run. Now, I realize that because you've taken a ton of photos, you may be like, "How on earth can I tackle thousands of photos taken across several years?!?" For the love of all things holy, DO NOT think about it that way! Just commit to start on the project and spend 30 minutes or an hour on it whenever you can. Eventually, you'll be on the other side of this mighty mountain and sharing your knowledge with other frazzled mommies. :)