Sunday, March 7, 2010

Just call me fruity...

I get excited about things that truthfully aren't very exciting. But when one's life revolves around routine (and mine is the epitome of such), even the most mundane of subjects can really get me going!

The subject this time? PRODUCE! Fruits and veggies, that is!

I just joined a co-op, in which a large group of people band together to buy fruits and vegetables at wholesale prices. And the quality is amazing! I got my first basket and it had tons of blueberries, strawberries, the most beautiful red leaf lettuce you've ever seen (and it was HUGE), cabbage, asparagus, butternut squash, apples, pears, bananas, cucumbers and a really tasty watermelon. All this is only $15!!! I would've paid $50 for all of this at the store...no joke--you should see just HOW MUCH of all these I received.

The reason this excites me? It not only cuts down the grocery budget and makes my trips to the store short and sweet (which is priceless in and of itself), but I am finding that even in the last 24 hours of having the basket of stuff, I am eating more produce than I would've had I picked it out myself. I think because there's sooo much of it, and I don't want to be wasteful...AND because some of it requires creativity in the kitchen. So the mystery of not knowing what will be in this week's basket makes me appreciate what I end up with, even if it's something I've never heard of before, or wouldn't know HOW on earth to prepare...like swiss chard or kale...I suppose I could be a super health nut and eat it all raw, but I'm not THAT disciplined. But hey, I could get there! Especially if I find myself swimming in 10 pounds of vegetables at the week's end...

Tonight, I got our Jack LaLane juicer out of hiding (thanks, Dad, for letting me borrow it for so long) and Jack and I juiced away! (Jack, my son, that is--no, I don't refer to my juicer as "Jack" even though it is written on the side of it). Normally, he is suspicious when I hand him "special juice," especially when he sees the color. But this time, since he aided me by handing me the fruits and vegetables, watched them go through the wood chipper of sorts and saw the remains come out both ends, he took some ownership in it all and chugged that glass of carrot-bell pepper-spinach-kiwi-apple juice. And with a green juice 'stache, he said, "Mmmm, that was goooood juice, mom!"

I used to loathe when my mom would give me an afterschool "snack" of egg whites and romaine lettuce, even though it was normal to me. And now, here I am, giving my son a homemade version of Naked Juice. But you know what? One day, he will thank me--just like I thank my mom time and time again for giving me a true appreciation of the fact that food is not just something to fill us up until the next meal; it's fuel. Yes, I have my share of junk--tonight's was tortilla chips and coke zero, and last night's was a Frosty from Wendy's; but it's those little indulgences that keep me on track and actually make me appreciate the real food even more. And for those of you who are about to call CPS out of compassion for my child; don't worry--he got to have a Frosty last night too. And a lollipop tonight after dinner. I'm not THAT mean.

If you're in AZ and want to find the nearest pickup site near you so you can try it out this week, visit www.bountifulbaskets.org . They also have an organic basket for $25, which I am going to try this week out of curiosity...plus, I love the taste of organic apples, and that extra $10 may be well worth it to me!

post signature

3 comments:

Lyra said...

K- I have an amazing Swiss Chard stew recipe if you want it. It's my Mom's and it's sooo good on a cold day. It has a little kick to it but it's just amazing

K-Mama said...

I would LOVE it!!!

OurCarsAndCops said...

i tried telling you about bountiful baskets a few weeks ago, I LOVE IT. I do it every other week. If you have time, volunteer, you get more stuff!!! I did it this week and it was sooooooo fun. Ps the 9 grain bread is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE BB its my biggest addiction!!!