Tuesday, Jack didn't do anything on the potty, and did everything in his pants. And he literally went into a convulsion when I tried to put him on the toilet. I told him that if he didn't try to use the potty, he wouldn't get any stickers or farm animals...and he said, "I don't WANT stickers or farm animals!"
Sheesh...it's like working with Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde...
So today, I went to visit my Nana is Scottsdale. I put Jack down for a little nap (which he usually doesn't take when he's over there, but will at least have some quiet time...) I thought I heard a few noises here and there coming from her guest room where he was, but figured he was just reading or playing with some toys in the bed. My Nana went to peek at him to see what he was doing and I heard her say, "Oh dear."
I feared the worst.
Then, Jack came out, his pull-up gone and his dignity hanging out for all to see.
"I went poo-poo, mom."
I walked warily around the corner and peered into the bedroom, only to see a trail of a few piles of poop, each of which were so big they looked more like they came out of a German Shepherd than a 3-year old.
My Nana was a trooper, especially since her carpet was cleaned pretty recently. I felt awful and cleaned it all up for her.
Later, when I asked Jack why he decided to take OFF his pull-up rather than just go in it, I found out that it's because I've been telling him that I would rather him poop in the potty and not in his pants. He didn't want to tell me that he wasn't taking his nap, but he also didn't want to poop in his pants because he knew that wasn't what he was supposed to do either. Hence, the excrement on the floor.
The upside of this whole thing? His pull-up was dry and I was able to put it back on him...thus saving us another 50 cents.
I think we'll take a bit of a break before we start again. This poor kid is a little overwhelmed and confused and I really don't want to make the potty a scary thing. Especially if it means forcing him to sit on it.
Sigh. (LONG sigh).






4 comments:
That's hilarious!! This is something that I already dread doing with my children and they are not even born yet! Good job mommy and great writing. :0)
Oh my gosh - I am SO with you - you have a GREAT day and then a BAD day! It gets better I promise... one book I read said to give them salty snacks AND lots to drink - set the timer every 15 mins and take them to the potty... make it SHORT - we would try and then if he tried and didn't go - within a minute - we would stop and try again... reward for the DRY pants and NOT for peeing in the potty - the book said you want to reward what you want - which is dry pants - peeing in the potty is the bonus... so 3 mini m&m's for dry pants and 5 for dry pants AND pee in the potty... or cheetos or whatever works for Jack... and a sticker for the chart too...
I read Potty Wise and it worked in 1 week... the pooping came later - but I just would put him ont he pot at the time he normally poops... we still have issues with poop... he likes to wait and poop when it's naptime... or recently he would hide in a corner and then tell me - he pooped... he got spanked for that becuase he is trained and he is being sneaky... if he has an accident at naptime - no spanks - that is just life....
and I always use a pull up at night and for naps... I just recently started venturing out in big boy pants and he NEVER pees in them when we are out... so many say that is bad but it works for me and that is all that counts...
Jack will get it - I remember thinking on that first week - I don't remember ever hearing about a kid who goes to college with diapers - so they all figure it out eventually... give yourself a break - it has nothing to do with you OR your parenting skills... it is just a developmental thing they have to tackle!
Don't stop this is all part of potty training some days will be better then others. If you keep giving up he will learn how to control you to do what he wants rather then what he needs to learn. Also him not pooping in his pants means he is listening to you. Just explain in great detail what you expect out of him like it is ok to get up from nap if you have to go potty rather then going on the floor. Good Luck!
Tough break, Kristin! I wish there was something I could do or say, but I got nothin' except, "Hang in there! You're doing great!" Hope that helps. :)
Post a Comment