Friday, January 2, 2009

Things I just have to document

My mom always tells me that I should write down the things Jack says because, as much as I think I will remember them, I won't. And she's right--I'm so braindead right now from lack of sleep that I can't even remember things he said 5 minutes ago, let alone a few days ago.

Recently, he said a few things that I must share--if only just to put them on a page for posterity.

Last night, Jack was trying to stall before bedtime--thinking of all the different ways he could get me to stick around before turning off his light and telling him to go to bed. He said, "Mom, I don't feel really better." I happened to be sick yesterday and he quickly picked up on this as something he could claim for himself...I laughed at the lack of grammar, but thought at the same time how smart he was to put the concept together in a sentence. He knows what it means to make something better, and knew he wanted me to think he felt the opposite of better. Hence, his sentence.

He then asked me where my "candy pants" were, referring to some ugly pajama pants covered with images of wrapped candy (in my defense, I wear these only when it's really cold). He asked me if my candy pants had too much sugar. I laughed out loud. Only my child would ask if something had too much sugar...

Jack went to the zoo today with his grandma and saw lots of animals. In our conversation over dinner tonight (just the two of us), I asked him to tell me what animals he saw and if he got to touch any of them. He told me that he got to touch the goats at the petting zoo, but didn't get to touch the zebra or giraffe because he saw them "from the flying thing" (referring to the sky ride that takes you from one end of the zoo to the other).

I know these aren't hilarious--but to me, they are so precious. I just love how a little toddler views the world...and sometimes I wish I could make things so simple in my own mind. I'd be a lot less stressed, I'll tell ya that much!

post signature

No comments: