Thursday, January 8, 2009

The library...who'da thunkit? Oh, and some potty woes...

I just have to say that I love the library! We just went there today after a morning at the park and got TONS of Berenstein Bear books (Jack is OBSESSED with these after discovering all the ones sitting on his bookshelf from my childhood--ripped pages and all) and some movies about the aforementioned bears, Bert and Ernie and...potty training. That's right. I'm about to embark upon the exciting adventure of potty training with a kid who has mastered the art of the power struggle.

There were many potty-themed movies, and I'm sure in the days to come I'll be checking them ALL out.

I'm not starting this week...but plan to stay home for a few days with nothing else on my brain but potty training. I knew it had to happen soon, but the last straw was this morning's super wet diaper with the biggest (excuse my phrasing here) DUMP I have ever seen come out of this kid!! And it had a smell that was worse than usual...in fact, it was just, well...OFF. Here was our conversation:

Me: UGH! Jack, this is just not right. You're going to start using the potty and wearing underwear.

Jack: I don't want to wear underwear! I want to wear diapers! You can just change me!

Me: No, you're wearing underwear and using the potty.

Repeat a few times, and picture me holding my breath in disgust. This kid even freaks out if I try to put a pull-up on him--a pull-up!! They look like diapers! But the fact that he has to STEP into one instead of lying down to get it on scares him or something.

I'm a mother of a newborn and I'm about to start potty-training in my sleep-deprived state. If there were ever conditions to make one go insane, these would definitely be in the running!

Goodnight and Godspeed (I'm saying this to myself).

post signature

1 comment:

Kate & Matt Heihn said...

This really made me laugh. Jack is so opinionated about potty training, he cracks me up!