Monday, December 14, 2009

Traditions


It's so fun starting traditions now that at least one of our children actually knows what's going on. Jack is so excited about Christmas coming, and since he has no concept of time and just how far away Christmas Day actually is, I've made it my goal to fill each day leading up to Christmas with something fun and festive.

We baked cookies tonight and Jack had so much fun putting the sprinkles on, telling me when the timer went off, and of course eating them (many behind my back, after I told him no more...I think 4 cookies before bed is enough, don't you? :) )

I am finding that traditions don't have to be big events--they can be as simple as listening to Christmas music everyday or adding an ornament to the tree and reading something from the Bible about Jesus being born (Jack is happy to shout that Christmas is Jesus' birthday). Jack's favorite toys right now are his Christmas Little People: the nativity scene and a Santa scene...it's so fun to take them out the night of Thanksgiving and let him play with them all month long. He really looks forward to it, and knowing that these little things are making his little life more magical just makes me feel like a kid again too. Even if I am just living vicariously through him...

post signature

1 comment:

Kate & Matt Heihn said...

Ah, this is so great! Matt and I have had a great time talking about the kinds of traditions we want to start as well - obviously Savannah is a little young still, but being a parent is bringing something new to the holiday. I can't wait to share all of the joys of the season with her when she's a little older.