Alright--I'm aware that my beautiful daughter, whom I see as quite the feminine delicate flower that she is, may not appear to be OBVIOUSLY female to everyone who sees her at first glance. But can I just say that I'm sick of people in public assuming she's a boy (even when she's wearing pink, mind you). They say things like:
"Hi, little fella!"
"Is that your little brother?" (asking Jack this, as he just looks at them with confusion)
"He is so cute!"
"He looks just like his brother!"
"Hi, buddy!"
The list could go on and on, and I usually just let it roll off my back. But today was different. Today, we were at Sprouts and Jane was literally called a boy by THREE people! The last of which was the cashier who continued to go on and on about her with the wrong pronoun. "Oh, look, HE'S dancing to the music!" HE this and HE that. I just downplayed it and didn't correct her--she had said it so many times she would've been so embarrassed if I told her the truth. And I didn't feel like reassuring her over and over that I'm not offended, yada yada yada.
I know she doesn't have much hair, that she's large for her age and that she really does look like her brother. But there comes a point when enough is enough! I think I will have to start putting her in pink everyday without exception...either that or I just put a sticker on her forehead that says, "I am a GIRL--so there!" But she would take it off and eat it, so that's not a viable option.
Jane is beautiful and I wouldn't change a thing about her. And one day, when her gender is not in question and she's fighting off the boys with a stick, I will have to tell her about this annoying stage and we'll all have a laugh. At least, we will--she may not.






3 comments:
I saw a onesie the other day (i think they had shirts too) that said "I'm a girl!!!" LOL you should get it, I bet it's available online.
I totally understand Kristin. Therese got called a boy in a restaurant last week by 3 different people. She was wearing blue, but it was a dress. I guess I need to keep a bow on her at all times. I have a onesie that someone gave me that says "I'm not a boy!" I guess sometimes you have to spell it out for people, so I can't wait to use it. Jane is a beautiful girl! I know it's frustrating, but who cares what others say. They're just clueless because I don't think she looks anything like a boy.
Thanks, Jean. I'm really not offended--I mean, c'mon, she's 10 months old. But I just think sometimes it gets annoying always having to clarify her gender...it seems so obvious to me, but that's because I'm her proud mama! Love that onesie you're talking about!
Post a Comment